University Housing Services offers many job opportunities for students in our service areas, many even in the same residence hall where you live! To view available positions please visit Illinois State University Jobs. If hired, you will need to be able to readily provide a number of forms.
Service Area Positions
These positions include, but are not limited to, part-time employment at residence hall front desks, fitness centers, and mail rooms. Service Area positions are primarily for students who receive a federal work study. The starting wage for most positions is $13 per hour.
Service Area Manager
- Responsible for greeting and serving as the main point of contact for residents, guests, faculty, and staff.
- Responsible for maintaining key and mail package inventory.
- Serve as a liaison between residence hall students, faculty, staff, Resident Assistants, and Professional staff in the residence halls.
- Serve as a resource for residence hall students.
- Maintain accurate record-keeping of residence hall/desk properties (i.e. equipment).
- Responsible for guest check in between 6 a.m. – Midnight.
- Work collaboratively with the mail room managers.
Fitness Center Manager
- Check in residents to the residence hall fitness centers.
- Inventory and maintain fitness center equipment.
- Track student use of the fitness center.
Mail Room Manager
- Sort and distribute mail and packages.
- Maintain accurate package log.
- Responsible for forwarding all mail to proper locations.
- May assume desk duties as needed.
Additional Service Area Hiring Information
Applicants will be contacted directly by University Housing Services (UHS) if they are selected to proceed to the interview stage of the hiring process. All Documents attached to your application must include your name.
You will need to download, complete, and save the Work Availability Form. On the Job Application site, attach the form to your application in the documents section labeled “Work Availability” BEFORE submitting your application. The system will not allow you to attach the form once your application has been submitted.
Failure to follow any of these instructions may constitute an incomplete application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
If selected, you must complete your hiring paperwork and have approval from the Illinois State University Human Resource Department before you begin.
Get paid to be a night owl! Night Operations provides students with employment throughout the school year including fall, spring, summer, and holiday breaks. During the breaks Night Operations may provide day security for the residence halls. The Night Operations Program promotes a high level of responsibility in all its employees. The Program also builds self-confidence in its employees while promoting teamwork and professional employment experience.
- Pay: Employees begin earning $13 per hour with opportunities for merit raises each year. Promotional opportunities are available to those desiring supervisory experience.
- Hours: Work a minimum of approximately 20 hours every two weeks. More hours are available if your schedule permits.
- Before you apply, download the Night Operations Availability Form.
Summer Conference Positions
Looking for a great place to work for summer? Consider joining the University Housing Services team. Watch for full position descriptions on the Illinois State University jobs website in January.
Conference Assistant (CA)
- CAs have significant responsibility in overall summer conference operations including but not limited to: front desk management, conference check-in/checkouts, building preparation, and emergency call response.
- Benefits: $13 per hour
Lead Conference Assistant (LCA)
- LCAs will assist the Residence Hall Coordinator Team with training, scheduling, and provide overall leadership to the CA Team. LCAs will also assist with various CA responsibilities.
- Benefits: $13 per hour; Room and Board