All residence halls and on-campus apartments will close for the summer on May 11, 2024 at 2p.m. Students will be able to choose their Move-Out date and time in the Housing and Dining Portal.
Move Out To-Do List
Make sure you have all your personal belongings and complete the following tasks to ensure you don’t receive additional charges.
- Clean your room
- Sweep, mop, dust, and wipe down your room. Do not sweep debris into the hallway.
- Take out any trash.
- Put large items in specially designated areas near your building or in the dumpster on the side of your building. Do not place large items down the trash chute.
- Looking to donate gently used items? Pass-It-On, through the Office of Sustainability, offers Pass-It-On bins during Move-Out for you to donate! Be sure to keep an eye out for the bins in all residence hall lobbies
- Put your room back together
- Return the room to its original condition.
- Secure all furniture and shelves in their original place.
- Return lofted beds to their lowest height.
- Open the shades.
- Secure your room
- Turn off the lights.
- Lock the windows.
- Lock the door when you leave.
- Return items
- If you have a loft kit, return it before finals week. Your floor or hall lobby will have information on how to return your kit.
- Return your room key when you check out. There is a $75 fine for each key not returned.
- Take care of your mail
- Remove all mail from your mailbox.
- Update your summer mailing address in My.IllinoisState.
- Update your address for any subscriptions, bills, etc. that you may receive at your residence hall address.
Be sure to sign up for a Move-Out Appointment through the Housing and Dining Portal.
- Complete the move-out to-do list.
- Get an express checkout envelope and form from the front desk.
- Fill out the requested information.
- Seal your keys and information in the envelope and drop it off in the express checkout box in your building’s lobby.
A Housing Staff Member will check your room after your departure.
Keep these things in mind while you move out.
- If you travel home before finals, take non-essential items with you.
- This will lessen your move out time and load.
Be prepared for traffic
Try your best to remain patient.
Do not leave your car unattended
It might get towed.
No trailers allowed
Watch out for extra pedestrians during move out.
Look for and follow all traffic and parking signs. Do not block things like:
- Public transit pick-up/drop-off locations
- Other vehicles that are parked
Keep an eye on your things.
University staff is not responsible for lost or stolen property during the checkout process.
Don't leave anything behind
You can donate unwanted non-perishable foods and home goods in the Pass It On bins in the lobby of your residence hall.
Remember your bike - University police auction off abandoned bikes over the summer.